The admission process for Delhi University’s undergraduate courses is likely to be delayed by “at least a week” due to the extension of the CUET-UG program after the exam was canceled at several centers last week due to technical glitches.
The Common University Entrance Test (CUET) -UG which was scheduled to conclude on August 20 will now conclude on August 28. Admission to all undergraduate courses in the university will be done through CUET.
The National Testing Agency (NTA) on Saturday announced that the exam, which was canceled last week, will now be conducted from August 24 to 28 and fresh admit cards will be issued.
A senior Delhi University official said, “The admission process is expected to last for a week due to the rescheduling of CUET. The entire admission process will take a month.”
“The admission process is now expected to be completed by the end of September and classes for the first year students are expected to start in the first or second week of October.
“Earlier, the university was planning to start classes by the end of September,” the official said.
The admission process is likely to begin later this month with Dean of Admissions Haneet Gandhi saying that the Common Seat Allocation System (CSAS) portal will be open for candidates to fill applications till the third week of August.
Admission through CSAS will be conducted in three phases – submission of CSAS 2022 application form, selection of programs and filling of preferences, and seat allotment and admission.
This is the second stage where the score of CUET is required. The second stage of the admission process can start only after the declaration of CUET (UG) 2022 results.
A candidate has to select the programs in which they want to take admission. They have to confirm the program-specific CUET (UG) merit score for all the selected programmes.
In the third phase, allotment of seats will be done through merit list.
This is for the first time that admission to the university, which used to see skyrocketing cutoffs for UG admissions every year, will be conducted through an entrance test.
The University Grants Commission (UGC) had announced in March that it would be mandatory for all central universities to admit students through CUET.
The second phase of CUET-Undergraduate, which began last Thursday, was riddled with glitches, causing trouble to the students who were sent back from the examination centres.
On Thursday, the first shift exam was canceled at several centers in 17 states, while the second shift exam was canceled at all 489 centers. On Friday, the examination was canceled at 50 centres.
Anticipating a similar situation on Saturday, the agency canceled CUET-UG for the day at 53 centers and sent messages to candidates about its postponement on Friday night.
UGC chairman Jagdish Kumar had said on Sunday that there were “signs of sabotage” and hence the cancellation of exams at various centres.
This story has been published without modification in text from a wire agency feed. Only the title has been changed.
|UttarPradeshLive.Com Home||Click here|